Friday, July 17, 2009

Seared Sea Scallops with Quinoa Pilaf


Tonight's dinner is Seared Sea Scallops with Quinoa Pilaf. I found this recipe at www.prevention.com website. They have so many fabulous recipes. I changed some ingredients to make it work for my kitchen:

It is made in 3 steps, sauce, quinoa, scallops

Sauce (you make this first)
1 c. pomegranate juice
3/4 tsp. low salt soy sauce
3/4 tsp. curry
2 tbsp. minced shallots
1/3 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/3 tbs. water

Bring first 5 ingredients to a simmer over medium-low heat. Simmer for 30 minutes till reduced. Add the cornstarch and water to thicken. Set aside & keep warm.

Quinoa
1/2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 shallot chopped
1 c. quinoa, rinsed well
1 c. low sodium vegetable broth
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 c. golden raisins
1/4 c. dried cherries or cranberries
2 tbsp. slivered almonds, toasted
1/3 tbsp. lemon juice

Heat oil in large pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Stir in quinoa and cook 5 mins. Stir in the broth and cinnamon and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 mins. or until tender. Stir in raisins and cherries. Cover and set aside.

Scallops
1 lb. sea scallops, patted dry and salted and peppered with ground black pepper
1 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1/4 tsp. sesame oil, divided

Heat 1/2 olive oil and one half of the sesame oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook the of the scallops for 4 mins. turning once and adding the remaining oil as needed.

To prepare, place scallops on dish and drizzle with the sauce and garnish with toasted almonds. Add Quinoa.

This dinner was delicious, although, I doubt I will be able to make my hubby a fan of Quinoa. But I will keep trying. He never used to eat the meals with me, I always had to make two, but now he is eating the things I make and I have to give him credit, he is a real trooper.

Calorie count for the day:

Calories: 1701 (whoops, over budget, what a surprise, given my non-lunch)
carbs: 238
fat: 55
protein: 97

Did I mention the one small glass of wine with this dinner? Probably not. That is also included in the above totals. No dessert tonight, but I am pretty full. Must be because of the protein intake. I did not feel like going to the Kwandoflex class today and my run was pretty lethargic. I probably need a day of rest, but that will come on Sunday, as I have a bridal shower to go to in Burriville. Ugh! The girl who is getting married is my daughter's friend and is a vegetarian, so I am sure there will be a good meal for me at this Country Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment