Sunday, July 12, 2009

Amazing Green drink with lite blueberry muffin











It is Sunday. I was almost going to make this a lazy day, but since we kinda goofed off late yesterday afternoon and since we have nothing scheduled for today, it is house cleaning day. It is a gray day with peeks of sunshine here and there. What else is new in Rhode Island. I cannot wait to go back to Florida in October. I will never take the sunshine for granted again.

So, I tackled my kitchen first. Cleaned our cabinets and took stock of all of the items in my cabinets (for future dinners, etc.). I decided to make blueberry muffins since I had 3 containers of blueberries in my refrigerator. I got this recipe from Self magazine, but modified it to my ingredients:

Pam spray (I used baking cups, not recommended since recipe is lowfat and they stick)
1 large egg
2 tbsp. lowfat buttermilk (I used the dry packet kind)
2 tbsp. sour cream (I used fage 0%)
1/2 c. oat bran
1/3 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. mashed bananas (3 medium)
2 tbsp. brown sugar (I would eliminate this next time-made muffins very sweet)
1/2 c. blueberries
1/2 tsp. grated orange zest (I used lemon, but this ingredient can be eliminated)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat muffin pan with Pam. Whisk egg, sour cream, buttermilk in a bowl. In a second bowl mix oat bran, flour, baking soda, baking powder, & salt. In a third bowl, mash the bananas, add the brown sugar (only if you used sour cream). Gently fold the buttermilk mixture into the banana mixture. Lightly add the flour mixture, folding till mixed (gently). Fold in the blueberries and fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way. Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean. 15-20 minutes. Makes 6 muffins.

These are delicious and are only 130 calories with 1.8 g fat and 29 g carbs, 3.8 g fiber, 4.4 g protein

I also made a green drink to go with it so that I could get more veggies in for my daily count. I used 1/2 c. soy milk, 3/4 c. nonfat milk, 1 c. spinach, 1 packet berry amazing grass, 1 peach, 1 nectarine, 1.75 c. blueberries, water and crushed ice. This mixture came out really thick. I hope it energizes me because I still have a lot of house cleaning to do!

Total calorie count for breakfast:
Calories 484 (includes whole green drink, which I will consume throughout the day)
Fat 7
Carbs 94 (ouch!)
Protein 22

No comments:

Post a Comment