Friday, July 17, 2009

Chia Blueberry-Strawberry Smoothie


I received my chia seeds yesterday, via UPS. I ordered the organic ones recommended in the book, Thrive. So, I soaked them in 2 c. water, with 1/3 c. seeds. It is pretty cool how they form a gel. I actually had 1 tsp. before dinner last night. They are a complete protein (perfect food for a vegetarian) and they also contain Omega-3 oil (like the kind you get in fish such a salmon). 1 tbsp. contains 68 calories, which is not too bad for a protein source.

So, I decided to make a refreshing smoothie for breakfast. Especially since my dinner last night did not end up the way I wanted it to. I wanted my bourbon salmon, but they were out. Oh well. I ordered eggplant and it was good, it was an appetizer portion. It came with 3 large thin slices, that were grilled with cheese, balsamic reduction and red sauce. I also ordered a salad that was pecans, dried cherries and goat cheese. This salad was huge and had much too much dressing on it. It was drenched. I wished I had ordered that on the side. Imagine the calories I consumed on that salad.

So, today is my detox day from last night's dinner. Ingredients for my smoothie:

1/2 c. Trader Joe's cranberry juice
1/2 c. blueberries
1/4 c. frozen banana
1/2 c. strawberries
1 packet amazing grass (berry flavor)
1/2 container Fage 0%
1 c. crushed ice
1/2 c. spinach

Calories: 349, carbs: 54, fat: 6, protein: 27

I would definitely add some honey or Stevia sweetner to the above drink. It needed a little more sweetness for my taste. But this is totally my experiment smoothie. It was probably bitter from the cranberry juice. This is a great juice from TJ's because you can tell it is pure, not sweet like one from Ocean Spray that is basically apple juice.

So, I am off to run a couple of miles this morning. It is kind of humid finally, a/c is on. Then off to the gym for Kwandoflex class for one hour. It is an okay class (I find it easy). So, you lift weights and do kickboxing moves. I will use higher weights, since you do each body part for only 3 minutes, i.e. lunges and squats, 3 + 3, then we will kickbox for 5-10 mins., then back to chest and back, etc., etc. I will do whatever I have to do to work off that bad salad from last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment