Monday, July 13, 2009

Arugula Walnut Pizza


Yeah! My new camera came in. Okay, I guess I should read the instructions! Tonight's dinner could not be easier. Great dinner for a Monday night. I am always more tired on a Monday. I think it is due to my on the road work schedule. I much prefer working out of my home office, but Monday is payroll day, so off I go.

Here is the recipe for Arugula Walnut Goat Cheese Pizza (from Men's Health Magazine)

1/4 c. walnuts, coarsely chopped
2 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 8oz. whole wheat pizza crust (I used Boboli brand, thin crust)
1 c. grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 oz. goat cheese, sliced
3/4 c. loosely packed arugula

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toast walnuts on a baking sheet 3-4 mins. or until fragrant and lightly browned. Transfer immediately to a plate.

2. Heat 1 tsp. of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat; add onion. Cook stirring occasionally, 6-8 mins. or until onion is soft and golden.

3. Place crust on rack in oven, top with walnuts, onion, and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper; arrange goat cheese on top.

4. Bake for 7 minutes or until crust is golden, crisp, and warmed through. Scatter arugula on top and drizzle with remaining oil. Let cool slightly before cutting into wedges. Serving size is 1/8 of the pizza. Makes 4 servings

Calories per serving: 295, fat 15g, mono 3g, poly 4g, cholesterol 5 mg. protein 9g; carb 6g; sugars 3g, fiber 3g, iron 1 mg; sodium 229 mg; calcium 44 mg.

Additionally, I made that strawberry onion salad (see strawberry onion salad on an older post to the right) which has strawberries, avocado, onions, salad mix, balsamic vinegar and strawberry preserves and 1 glass of red wine (always with pizza). Tonight's wine was J. Lohr Cabernet. I love the glasses we purchased in Vermont. Perfect to get the aroma out of the wine glass.

Calories for the day (good thing I ran):

1,668, fat, 60, carbs 171, protein 79

Too many calories (over by 18). Carbs were a little low (under by 3) and all others within my weight loss guidelines on Sparkpeople.com

1 comment:

  1. I make homemade pizza all the time but have never thought of adding walnuts! Thanks for the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete