Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dukan Diet-Day one Attack Phase

I downloaded the Dukan Diet book to my Kindle.  For the most part, I try to just count calories & exercise to lose weight.  This has worked wonderfully for me.  Especially if I can run and keep the calorie count to 1200-1400 per day.

Lately, however, I have been hungry all the time. Carb-starved, as I like to call it.  I have not stuck to my calorie counting.  I am still exercising and running but not making the best eating choices and my weight is up.

This diet has intrigued me since I heard about it on the Dr. Oz show.  I read the 4-Hour Body book.  While it was very good, the diet just did not work for me.  It is hard to stick to any diet that is low carb when you don't eat meat.

So, I decided to try this one.  It has a few paragraphs about what you can eat as a vegetarian during the attack phase. I read this entire book and went on the website to find my Dukan program:

2 day attack phase
20 day cruise phase
29 day consolidation phase

These two books have so many similarities (low carb, cold therapy, etc).  And differences.  One is the oat bran.   You have to have 1 1/2 tbsp. of oat bran every day with the Dukan Diet.  4HB makes you eat beans. No beans on Dukan Diet in this phase.

Today's menu:

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, Protein shake (water, Lean 1, 6 oz Chobani 0%, 1 c. crushed ice)

Lunch: 1 bocca burger, Protein shake (1/2 cup non-fat milk, 5 star Whey Protein powder - 1 level scoop, 4 oz Chobani 0%, Amazing Grass Cocoa, 1 c. crushed ice)

Dinner:  ahi Tuna steak, oat bran gallette (Dukan Diet recipe)

Totals for the day:  calories: 986, carbs:  60, Fat:  22, Protein:  142

You are supposed to have 1 1/2 quarts of water each day. I can tell you I have had more.  When I intake a ton of protein, this is what it does to me--it makes me thirsty.  I also ran 10 miles today. 

From reading this book (I could skip the chapters on obesity, smokers, etc.), I will feel really tired tomorrow.  This is due to the lack of carbs. I started this diet with a pooch of a belly (that is what I call it) and my weight is currently 140lbs.  According to the stats on the Dukan website, I should be down 1.63 pounds after I complete the full day tomorrow in this attack phase.  We shall see.  

Also, according to this diet plan, my goal weight should be 133.  The weight I am attempting to obtain (that I believe is best for me) is 129.

I do have to say that I am not hungry at all today.  I do feel tired, but that is probably due to me getting up at 4:30AM and running the 10 miles.

PS I had to revise my original post.  When it came time for dinner, I just could not have another protein shake.   I was too full!  Since I knew I needed the oat bran, I made the Dukan diet oat bran gallette (pancake).

Lynda

6 comments:

  1. This is a great post. I was looking for information on running on very low carb diet. I had wondered if it was even possible and am now inspired to at least give it a go! I'm also a vegetarian which makes high protein diets very difficult. I noticed you eat fish which, strictly speaking, means you are not vegetarian. I'm going to be eating a lot of eggs & bocca burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali - see my next post. Low carb is definitely not for me. Especially if you run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty much living on a handful of Quorn chicken pieces, mince or tofu along with 3 egg whites a day. I'm also a vegetarian - the protein side of it is so boring! Because we're not allowed to eat enough varieties of Quorn and I'm missing some of their foods which I could actually snack on all day. (Live in the UK). I eat Oat Bran porridge and Yogurt which is the treat. I exercise for 50 minutes a day. I also drink 2 litres a day.
    I'm on day 2 Attack phase and I've lost 2 pounds but I need more protein! Any ideas on the Quorns I can eat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. what the hell eggs & fish are vegetarian food!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eggs are. fish is not. eggs are not vegan, maybe that's what you're thinking of. But yeah, the tuna made me do a double-take.

      Delete
  5. Ideas for more protein, sprouted tofu is high protein very low carb, less carbs than regular tofu.

    Hemant, fish are vertebrate animals and are therefore not vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete